How do you choose your tuna? I never thought about it and usually went with either price or brand name or even offer basis.
But recently with news regarding:
- High levels of mercury in tuna.
- Genetically modified additives.
- The fact that some canned Tuna may not be Tuna!
So decided to start investigating to try to make the best choice for my family. (As always to keep all posts credible – I have included all the links I used to summarize what I found)
Sidebar: Please note that this is a PERSONAL INVESTIGATION and this post is based on my personal opinion.
Step #1: Know your Canned Tuna Types:
Solid WHITE Type: made from only Albacore
White Chunk Light: made from SkipJack and Tongol
My advice would be go for the Chunks they have lower levels of Mercury and can be consumed more often that Albacore.
And further found that Tongol Tuna has the least mercury levels (http://www.naturallyintense.net/blog/diet/nutrition/tongol-tuna-a-safe-real-food-choice/ )
Step #2: Check for “GMO FREE”
In choosing anything for your family – PLEASE READ THE INGREDIENTS
I was surprised to find in many brands in the market, additional ingredients in the cans from Soy Protein to other additives I have never heard of.
So make sure the Tuna you choose is “CERTIFIED GMO FREE”
Pick tuna packed in water more often than with oil if you are on a low fat diet. But I personally try to get a variety depending on how I’m planning to serve the Tuna.
Time to Cook 🙂
Check out this very easy recipe that you can make. An easy main dish for the family to enjoy:
Recipe: Easy Tuna Souffle
- 1 can Tuna in Water (Large Can)
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/4 Cup Flour
- 1/4 Teaspoon Paprika
- 1 Cup Fat Free Milk (liquid)
- 1 Tablespoon Dried Oregano
- 1 Small Onion
- 3 Egg Yolks
- 3 Egg Whites
- In a medium saucepan, melt Butter. Stir in Flour, paprika, sprinkle of Salt and Pepper.
- Add Milk
- Cook and Stir until thick and bubbly. Continue for 1-2 minutes more.
- Remove from Heat.
- Stir in Tuna into the mixture. Add gradually the oregano and onion.
- In a 2 different bowl, separate the egg yolks and white.
- Beat EGG YOLKS until thick and Lemon colored.
- Gradually add the Tuna Mixture to the Egg Yolk mixture and stirring constantly until well blended) – Leave aside to cool a little.
- In the EGG WHITE Bowl – beat with hand-held mixer or by hand until it becomes stiff – beaten (hard peaks form)
- Now add the Tuna Mixture gradually to this Egg White Mixture – folding to combine.
- Turn into a Souffle Pan or oven-proof deep dish
- Bake 325 degrees for about 40 minutes – or until toothpick comes out clean in the center.
- Serve Immediately.
CHECK OUT MORE ON HTTPS://WWW.SUPERMOMMYBEIRUT.COM/
JOIN THE SUPER MOMMY COMMUNITY HTTPS://WWW.FACEBOOK.COM/GROUPS/SUPERMOMMYBEIRUT/
CONTACT US ON + 961 70 460 560
OR EMAIL MARKETING@SUPERMOMMYBEIRUT.COM