Are you thinking of having a new baby? Congratulations!
Before planning to redecorate the kids’ bedroom, it’s time to prepare your body for some nutritional changes to enjoy the healthiest pregnancy possible for both you and your future baby.
Did you know your future child’s health is related to your own nutrition before conception even starts?
We were all led to believe that how much or whatever the mom eats doesn’t really affect the fetus and that he will get all his nutritional needs anyway.
Mmmm… yes but it comes out of your bones and your vitamin and mineral stocks!
Your nutrition does matter!
For a developing baby in the mother’s womb your nutrition is ALL that matters really.
Why? Because healthy nutrition supports a healthy placenta, which is the only way a baby gets his oxygen and nutrients.
New research studies show that:
the mother’s diet before pregnancy as well as during pregnancy affects the baby’s DNA
certain nutrients or the lack of them can be responsible for switching some genes on or off – such as the fat genes or the cancer genes.
So what are these nutrients that a super mom-to-be, should get loaded with?
1. Vitamin E: The first important vitamin that will help and prevent miscarriages. Found greatly in olive oil, nuts, avocados and whole grains.
2. Folate (natural form of folic acid), many gynecologists prescribe as folic acid supplements before conception since it prevents neural tube defects in babies by 60 percent. Folate is also available in chicken, fish, leafy greens, fruits, nuts and lentils.
3. Vitamin B12 that is found in animal products, and that is why vegan mothers need to take synthetic forms of vitamin B12 to prevent nerve disorders in babies.
4. Vitamins A and D:
- Get some healthy time in the sun
- Consume fatty fish like salmon to avoid a vitamin D deficiency.
However, I recommend to get tested for vitamin D levels and supplement with vitamin D capsules if needed. Vitamin A is as important as folic acid, and the need for it starts at week 2 or 3 before you even know you’re pregnant, when the primitive heart, circulation and the brain begin to form.
5. Iron: responsible for synthesizing the baby’s DNA. Many doctors are now giving Iron Supplements in the early stages of pregnancy – but is also vital in the pre-pregnancy stage. The best source is in liver. Yes, you have to eat that liver your mom begged you to eat as a child. 🙂
6. Zinc. Oh boy, I’m always struggling with a deficiency in this crucial mineral.
If you’re hoping for a boy, you’d better read this: prenatal zinc deficiency prevents the male sex hormones from forming properly. The best source is oysters. Now we all know you’re not going to sip on your oysters every day especially since we’re living in Lebanon!
So next in line are crustaceans like shrimps, liver, beef, and pumpkin seeds
7. Fat and saturated fat in particular
Butter, liver, egg yolks and seafood were actually considered “special foods” that were offered to newlyweds by ancient traditional cultures who didn’t really know about their high content of vitamins A and D, iodine and omega 3 fats. Yet they knew that those fatty foods were essential to make babies.
Why? Because, believe it or not, your body is made of 97% saturated fat, and the hormones involved during pregnancy such as progesterone are composed of cholesterol. So when you only eat polyunsaturated fats like vegetable oils, your hormones will not be able to function properly. And this is by far the biggest contributor to infertility as well as so many other female problems…
In a nutshell, what do you need to eat before getting pregnant (and during of course)?
REAL WHOLE foods: meats and animal fats (preferably organic), free range eggs, fresh vegetables, whole grains.That means cutting out sugar, refined flour products and processed foods.
Another great way to ensure that you’re ready to grow your healthy bundle of joy is to start taking a prenatal vitamin supplement 6 months prior to conception, because it takes some time for your body to start recovering from vitamin and mineral depletion.
GOOD LUCK SUPER MOMMY !!!!!
Contributed by Community Member:
Holistic Health Coach
Facebook: Hiba Itani-Health Coaching
To learn more how your typical fertility and pregnancy diet looks like, schedule your health consultation with Hiba today and get your baby a healthy head start in life!
GOOD LUCK SUPER MOMS!
ARE YOU A SUPER MAMA LIVING IN LEBANON?
JOIN US ON FACEBOOK! https://www.facebook.com/Supermommybeirut
Our social platform for WOMEN ONLY: https://www.facebook.com/groups/supermommybeirut/
ARE YOU A SUPER MAMA LIVING IN DUBAI?
JOIN THE GROWING SUPER MAMA COMMUNITY IN DUBAI:
JOIN US ON FACEBOOK! https://www.facebook.com/supermamadxb
Our social platform for WOMEN ONLY: https://www.facebook.com/groups/SupermomsDubai/
Our website: http://supermamadxb.com/